Monday, 21 September 2009

Quick overview: the weekend

The weekend was not nearly as enjoyable as Friday. I was supposed to get up to go to the weekly farmer's market with Viola and her friend, Fan at 8 am. This, however, was not to be. I woke up with a terrible sore throat and I couldn't breathe very well, so I stayed in bed. Then I was supposed to wake up later that afternoon and go down to the waterfront with them. This, again, did not happen because I felt awful and stayed in bed. I didn't wake up until 4:30 pm, and by that time, there's really nothing to do in Edinburgh. As I said before, all the shops close at 6, and who wants to take a shower and head out for an hour? I really didn't feel up to it, anyway. I did, however, have that literary pub crawl to go to. I hardly felt up to it, but I had already paid the 5 pounds, so I decided to tough it out.

Let me tell you, it's already cold here at night. It's in the 50s. As you all know, that's November weather for me. I'm not a fan. It should still be nice and warm and toasty. Walking around in the cold for two and a half hours when you're already sick is not the best idea. I wasn't such a fan of sitting in pubs, but we only did that once. We walked by several pubs and cafes, although we certainly got the most literary information regarding the old surgeon's hall, which was actually quite interesting. We went to a second pub and had to sit outside in the beer garden (the COLD beer garden) because there wasn't any room inside. Outside patios would be CLOSED for that sort of cold in Dallas! I mean, really!

I don't entirely remember what I did when I got back, except I remember getting upset at Geoff for calling at midnight for the first time all day...I was a bit miffed. Sorry, honey.


Sunday

I basically did nothing. I woke up late again, although it was at least an hour earlier. Jess called so I talked to her for a while, then I got up and showered so I'd look okay for my video call with Geoff. Outside of talking to him, I checked my e-mail and facebook, clearly did nothing with this blog, watched Futurama (which I found on the internet, and thank God for it), and read some of Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros. It's not the most exciting book, but I like her style. That really is honestly it for Sunday. Honestly.

Monday

Today is starting out just peachy. I went to sleep pretty late, but was woken up two hours later by my phone randomly shutting itself off. Of course, it's shut down noise startled me awake and I ended up messing with it for a little while to get it to turn back on. Then closer to when I was actually going to get up, Monica came and knocked on my door to ask for a paper clip or a staple, neither of which I had. I went back to sleep for what I thought was going to be thirty minutes since I set alarm, but alas, my phone turned itself off again. And this time I can't turn it back on. No, seriously, I can't. I know it's not out of battery life, but I've plugged it in to charge it. It won't say that it's charging, nor will it turn on. I'm really getting pretty tired of this phone and I've only had it for a week. I think I'm going to take it in tomorrow and ask for a refund or replacement, because this is getting ridiculous.

I checked my e-mail, including my Scottish one. That one had 14 messages since Thursday...I thought I had checked it before then... Also, it turns out that Dr. Trill is still my primary supervisor. She's the one I was originally assigned. I told some of you that it looked like she was on leave this semester and that I wouldn't get to work with her. Apparently that's wrong. Dr. Taylor, the man at the induction who originally told me to contact Dr. Cavanagh, sent me an e-mail telling me that Dr. Cavanagh is actually my secondary supervisor and Dr. Trill is my primary. So I feel a little weird now since I e-mailed my secondary supervisor first and have a meeting with him on Wednesday and I'm just now e-mailing Dr. Trill...oh well. I guess it just happens that way sometimes. I kind of wish Dr. Taylor had just given me the right information to begin with...

It's been at least an hour and my phone still won't turn on...this thing needs to go back. It's not reliable at all. Viola hasn't reported any problems with hers, so hopefully it's just mine and a replacement will do. And be given. We'll see, I guess. I'm not going to do it today, though. It's a national holiday, here, and I don't want to walk all the way over there just to find out they're not open. I'd probably do something drastic. Like arson. I could see that happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.