Friday, 25 September 2009

Thursday and Friday

I forgot to mention in my last post that Tuesday or Wednesday I persuaded Viola to come out with me for Fish and Chips, so I got myself out of the flat with two friends this week. That's kind of an exciting thing for me. I also forgot to mention that I got a replacement for my malfunctioning phone, which seems to be working fine.

So Thursday started out being pretty frustrating. I was supposed to have a meeting with my ALG group, but they basically ditched me. I misremembered where we were meeting, so I was six or so minutes late. They, of course, didn't wait, and no one picked up their phones (I called three out of four of them) or responded to my text message. They did respond to my e-mail hours and hours later, but a lot of good that did me. My name now won't be on this report since I wasn't there, even though I made every effort to be there. I in fact stayed on campus for a solid 45 minutes just in case I could meet up with them, but none of them responded at all, so I was left out in the cold. Great. Now I'll look like a slacker for my first full class here even though I was going to be there and managed to hunt down all of the materials I had to read even though I wasn't enrolled in the course and therefore had to look them all up myself instead of getting the links. Excellent.

I was supposed to have received my bibliographic assignment by yesterday at noon, but didn't receive it until 9:15 at night, so I did a little work on it, but not very much. I decided to put it off until today since Dr. Budd gave me an extra 26 hours to work on it. Instead, I finished reading my very short introduction to the Tudors and another quarter of Purgatory.

So here's the full tally of what I've read this week, since it's been the bulk of my activity:
Books completed:
A Very Short Introduction to Atheism; The Two Gentlemen of Verona; A Very Short Introduction to the Tudors

Books begun/worked on:
Purgatory; A Very Short Introduction to Kierkegaard; Caramelo

The introduction ones have sort of been a godsend, since they've given me small goals to work toward. Darn me for being so goal-oriented. It really made life a drag up until this self-enforced mini-goal. Also, I've realized that I have absolutely no right to call myself any sort of Shakespearean whatsoever since I've only read a quarter of his plays. I've decided, therefore, that I need to get through all the rest of them by Easter. I could actually get through them in 14 weeks if I read two a week, but I don't know how long I'd be able to hold myself to that. I might try. I only have four tragedies left, which is supposed to be my focus, so I feel a little better about that. One of those will have to be next. I'm thinking Coriolanus.

Today I have been absolutely listless. I have no energy whatsoever. I meant to wake up at 10 am to start on my assignment, but somehow that turned into noon, so I only got up in time for my 1 pm lecture. After the lecture, I did go to the library and check out a number of books for the assignment that I need to browse through. I decided I could do most of the rest from home, especially since I'll need lots of articles and reviews to decide what sources are important. However, as soon as I got home, I ate a tuna sandwich and went straight to sleep for another hour and a half. Not the most exciting time. I'm almost thinking that I should just go to bed early and not worry about my work until tomorrow morning. Don't know how well that would go, but Dr. Budd gave us a day's extension for it, so I think I should be okay. Besides, I feel pretty dead to the world right now and have ever since I woke up.

Anyway, that's been my week. Exhilerating, I know. Still haven't seen the doctor, still haven't set up a bank account, still haven't gotten a reader's ticket for the National Library of Scotland, but you know, it happens. Have a good weekend. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.